Monday, October 15, 2012

Costuming for a LARPer on Halloween

I will be the first person to admit: as a LARPer... I -hate- halloween.

I know what you're thinking "what? that doesn't make any sense! you LARP! you should love to dress up and get candy!"

and to this I say: Why?

I have spent 2-3 weeks out of the past few months dressing up as anything I needed to. Gypsies, Pirates, Robots, Plants, A Creepy Clown Girl, the list goes on and on. I simply don't need Halloween anymore because I have atleast one Halloween every month.  And when Halloween finally -does- roll around...what should I be?

My character for Mystic Realms is a Sea Elf.  I dress her vaguely piratical.  (not all sea elves dress like a pirate, but where roleplay goes, costume follows)  So, do I really just want to be a pirate? Eh, no.  I like Sam(my character) she has a rich backstory and a very unique personality.  There's something about not wanting to mess with that.

Should I be a gypsy?  The concept of Gypsy isn't a fun costume to pull off anymore.  It doesn't stand out enough for my attention mongering personality.  Besides. I was just a Gypsy at witches ball.  It's pretty much whatever.  I could slap a witch hat on the gypsy costume and be a witch...but the thing about costuming for a 24 year old is that I have 3 choices for having a great costume: be a recognizable character, be sexy, or be ridiculous...I'm not sure how to go about that.

Being a recognizable character is a slippery slope.  Not all recognizable characters are actually recognizable. I had 2 friends wear AWESOME costumes this past weekend.  They were so well thought out and well put together...and I had to ask someone else what they were supposed to be...and yet, the more recognizable you get, the blander the costume becomes.

Well, once I figure it out, I guess I will post some pictures.



I have a few ideas, why not vote/leave suggestions in the comments?

My options:
Witch, Black Cat, Queen of Hearts, Medusa(or any matter of Greek/Roman Characters), Gypsy, Pirate, Some sort of fairy like creature...

any other ideas?

1 comment:

  1. I love the Medusa idea! Unique and pretty out of the realm of norm.

    I wanted to go as the married couple from Beetlejuice this year but I didn't have time to carve the masks needed, so I'm just doing some fun Dia de los Meurtos Sugar skull makeup. Aedan is going to be a garden gnome!

    ReplyDelete